Devastating earthquake in the Philippines, 2 people killed, dozens injured, many houses collapsed

[ad_1]

Manila, July 27 (SO News/Agency) At least two people were killed while more than 30 people were injured in the 7.3 magnitude earthquake that hit Luzon Island in the Philippines on Wednesday. Most of the damage was done in the Abra region and Beguinet, where many houses, buildings and infrastructure were damaged by the earthquake. The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (NDRRMC) has confirmed the death of one person in the Benguet region of the northern Philippines. Local officials also reported that at least five people were injured in the Benguet area. A 25-year-old man also died in the earthquake in Banguid city, Abra regional governor Joclyn Burnos said. At least 25 people were slightly injured in the earthquake, according to a local radio news report, Xinhua News Agency reported.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PULSESIS) said the 7.3-magnitude earthquake hit the Abra region of the northern Philippines at 8:43 a.m. local time (0043 GMT). The agency first reported its magnitude as 7.3 and identified the epicenter of the earthquake as Lagangaling city.

Tremors were felt in several areas, including Metro Manila, on the main Lujon Island, where high-rise buildings were flooded and rail transportation was suspended. It was also felt in many areas including Alukos Sur, Pangasinan, Nueva Viequaya, Bulacan, Laguna and Cavite. Panicked employees ran out of the buildings in several offices including Rashtrapati Bhawan in the capital region.

Joseph Burnos, mayor of Lapaj city in Abra region, said the earthquake damaged many concrete houses, buildings and infrastructure in the area. “I have received reports that there has been extensive damage in our area,” he said in a radio interview, adding that some buildings at Abra University were also damaged.

Philippine President Ferdinand Romoldez Marcos will visit the region on Wednesday. This information was given by his press secretary Rose Beatrix Cruz-Angeles. Renato Solidum, the head of Favolix, warned that aftershocks and landslides could occur after a tectonic earthquake. He requested people and local government officials to be cautious.

Be sure to inspect buildings for cracks and to watch for subsidence, especially when it rains, he told a press conference. At the same time, he requested the rural people to leave the land sinking areas. Previously, on July 16, 1990, northern Luzon was rocked by a magnitude 7.8 earthquake, which caused a crack in 125 kilometers of road, stretching from Aurora region to Nueva Vijacaya, killing about 1,200 people and injuring several others. Buildings and houses were damaged.

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ankara escort